I’ve always had a passion for treating women with fertility issues. Every time a woman comes in looking for help with getting pregnant I always write the same list of secrets out. I use these secrets because they really work! I’ve decided to share these with all of you. It will help women know the things to do before they even come into the office, and it will certainly save some trees!
1. Eat at least three meals a day of warming and nourishing foods. Think soups, bone broth, warm water, cooked vegetables. Try to eat as organically as possible to avoid any chemicals that may harm your body. Remember, the baby wants to be in a warm health environment, so eating warming foods from the earth is the best way to go!
2. The following foods are known to help increase fertility in women, stock up on them!*
a. Leafy Greens- High in folic acid, greens are essential for healthy ovaries as well as promoting a healthy cycle. They also reduce the risk of brain/spinal cord defects in infants.
b. Honey-honey is so nourishing! It can help stimulate ovarian function, as well as help with a number of other things going on with your body (allergies, anyone?)
c. Chickpeas- Help to maintain B6 levels, which can improve progesterone levels
d. Eggs- the yolk contains vitamin D, which is essential in healthy ovulation
e. Sunflower Seeds- rich in zinc which helps effectively utilize your reproductive hormones as well as support egg quality
f. Salmon- Omega 3’s help regulate hormones and ovulation as well as increase cervical mucus and blood flow to the reproductive organs
g. Cinnamon- increases ovulation rates as well as improves digestion and has anti-bacterial properties
h. Turmeric (I actually recommend this for all my patients!)-This spice boosts reproductive health as well as creates a warm and dry environment internally for conception
i. Avocados- high in monosaturated fats, avocados are shown to positively effect IVF outcomes (and they taste delicious too!)
j. Stinging Nettle – herb used in Chinese Medicine to help with fertility by supporting the kidneys, adrenals and reproductive organs.
3. Go for a walk! I recommend my patients spend 30 minutes a day walking (outside if possible). Walking is a great way to get exercise without doing anything too strenuous. Many women lift heavy weights way into their pregnancy, but I always recommend taking it easy and letting your body get used to having a child. Its better to keep things light and easy!
4. Try to avoid cold as much as possible. Wear a scarf to keep yourself healthy during the colder months. Avoid cold showers or swimming in cold pools. It may sound silly, but in Chinese Medicine there are channels on the foot that go directly into the uterus. For this reason, I recommend my patients wear socks and keep their feet covered as much as possible, especially on cold wood floors!
5. Monitor your periods. Do you have clots? Is your period regular? Do you have really bad pain during your cycle? Most people don’t even know that what they are experiencing isn’t a “normal” period. You should never be in pain during your cycle and clots are not always good for your body. Acupuncture is amazing for regulating a woman’s menstrual cycle naturally. It’s important to receive acupuncture if your periods are irregular. These little bits of information are all important things for your acupuncturist to know, so they can better help treat you.
6. Monitor your fertility with a BBT test. The correct way to do this is to get a thermometer and measure your body temperature at the same time every day (when you first wake up). This test can be altered if you drink alcohol, so try to stay away from it as best you can!
7. Give up the bad habits. So many of my patients come in as smokers wondering why they can’t get pregnant. Would you want to hang out in a toxic environment? I wouldn’t! If you are someone who is a chronic smoker, I recommend quitting before you try to get pregnant.
8. Reduce Stress. Many women are just too stressed to get pregnant. They are running around taking care of everyone else and never taking care of themselves. It’s important to spend at least an hour a day for you. Find something that relaxes you and do it. Some find coloring relaxing, taking a hot bath, listening to music or going for a run. Whatever it is, it’s important to make time for yourself.
9. Circle + Bloom is an amazing resource for women trying to get pregnant. They have meditations and affirmations to help get you though.
10. Essential Oils. There are several essential oils that are good for boosting fertility. First is a common one, Lavender. I recommend this to help calm and relax the body. You can also supplement this with Roman Chamomile. Thyme is good oil to boost progesterone balance. Ylang Ylang is a natural energizer, mood enhancer and it stimulates “feminine” hormones in women. Lastly, Sandalwood is an aphrodisiac and can help increase libido in both men and women. I usually give my patients a small bottle of ylang-ylang and thyme combine to help with their fertility.
· This information was taken from Woman Code by Alisa Vitti. I highly recommend her book, it’s phenomenal!