As a certified Essential Oils Coach it was important for me to pick an essential oil brand that I could trust and that held the same wellness values I have. Just as I was researching essential oils my friend Gayle, a Wellness Advocate for DoTerra Essential Oils invited me to sample and learn more about this brand of essential oils. I figured it was a sign from the Universe that this was the brand I should be purchasing.
As she went on to explain to me about how pure their oils are, as well as how they had helped her I knew I had found the right brand. DoTerra even has a code on the bottom of each bottle that you can enter into their website to find out where the essential oil was harvested along with all sorts of other information you would want to know about your oils. I know it seems like I’m advocating for this brand, but any brand that meets good quality standards will be right for you. Before we get into talking about my favorite essential oils, here are a few things to look out for before purchasing:
• The best type of essential oils to purchase are certified organic. These oils are the highest grade and are made from plants with no pesticides or fertilizers.
• The next best is therapeutic grade, but be careful of these! Therapeutic grade is an unregulated term and is only defined by each individual company. While most of these oils contain a great deal of beneficial compounds, its important to know where your oils are coming from and what potential chemicals are included. DoTerra is a brand that is therapeutic grade, but after conducting research they carefully make sure few to no pesticides are in their products.
*Be careful of the word “pure” when purchasing oils. For a brand to be considered “pure” they are only required to have 25% essential oil.
• Make sure the bottle is tinted. Most essential oils lose nutrients when they hit the light, so all bottles should be tinted.
• Do your research! Not only on brands, but on price. If a common price of Lavender is about $20, a $5 bottle probably is not the best quality.
Now for a few of my favorites!
1. Turmeric Oil: In general, turmeric is something I tell 99% of my patients they should be taking. I just recently discovered turmeric oil! Turmeric oil is amazing for pain and inflammation. It can also be taken internally as a digestive aid and liver detox. As someone who takes turmeric on a daily basis, I can attest to how amazing this oil is. Just remember, when using topically make sure to dilute in a carrier oil! Carrier oils can be almost any kind of oil. I happen to like Jojoba oil or coconut oil. This allows the oil to be applied to the skin without being too harsh for the skin.
2. Lavender: Most people know lavender as an anti-anxiety oil, but it has so many more uses! Lavender helps with headaches, insomnia, stress and can lift your mood. Lavender can also help soothe burns and cuts as well as encourage healthy skin. Finally, lavender oil can help balance blood sugar as well as reduce high blood pressure.
3. Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil): You see Tea Tree oil in shampoos, conditioners and face wash, but is it really that beneficial? YES! Tea Tree oil is amazing for you skin. It can treat acne, clean cuts and infections, help heal ringworm and fungus and help with dandruff. Tea Tree can also act as a natural deodorant.
4. Peppermint: Peppermint is amazing for any issues regarding the lungs and can work as a great expectorant. When applied topically it can help relieve muscle pain and aid in headache relief. It can boost energy and concentration and is said to help improve memory. When taken internally, peppermint is great for any kind of digestive issues.
5. Frankincense: This oil is an extremely beneficial one. It can boost the immune system, promote relaxation, relieve cold and flu symptoms and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and stretch marks. Perhaps the two most beneficial uses of frankincense are to help those with memory issues such as Alzheimer’s patients, and to help cancer patients. Frankincense is known to help cells regenerate as well as fight specific types of cancer cells. This oil does it all!
6. Lemon: Lemon is a great oil for lifting mood and boosting the immune system! It can also help with allergies and clearing mucus and phlegm. I love lemon for cleaning, it is a natural disinfectant!
7. Eucalyptus: If you’ve ever used any kind of rub when you have a cough you know the smell of eucalyptus. It helps ease asthma and allergies and is great for easing symptoms of bronchitis and pneumonia. It can also help with earaches and promotes energy and focus.
8. Grapefruit: The best part about grapefruit is that it is very uplifting and helps boost the mood. Grapefruit also has the ability to aid in weight loss, promote lymph drainage, reduce the appearance of cellulite and fight candida!
9. Breathe Essential Oil Blend: This blend is probably the best blend. Whenever I diffuse it in my office my patients immediately ask where they can get some. It’s a mixture of laurel lead, peppermint, eucalyptus, melaleuca, lemon, cardamom, ravintsara and revensara. This blend promotes easy respiration and is great in allergy season.
10. Protective Essential Oil Blend (Similar to Thieves): I use this blend in my treatment room after patients. I also put a little on my scarf when traveling. It helps disinfect small areas and helps protect against any germs coming your way!
Do you have a favorite essential oil? What are your experiences with essential oils? I would love to hear from you!